Thursday, February 28, 2008

Its Her Story.... Chapter4

She has grown so frail i thought when i saw her. She was asleep when i called on a visit. The daughter, a middle aged woman;a beauty by herself smiled as she came at the door.

She came to the verandah where i sat, reading the newspaper. Her attire was dishevelled but a starched white.. neat and dignified as always. She looked at me with a question in her eyes. I had learnt to read them. It was so easy in fact. Those two sparkling windows were forever open.

Yes, i was reading the newspaper. Something i never did in my 16 years on this earth so far. I felt the change myself. Something about her was gripping my life, transforming me too. A sobering grip.

Today i was feeling a bit irritated even as i came in. Dad and Mom had joined forces to deny me permission for a late night party at Maggie's place. (Maggie is my best friend though we have a crush on the same person... ). I felt i was old enough to know what was right and what was wrong.
Moreover i was becoming a very mature girl after i had become friends with 'meea' (thats what i called her)... I was no longer seeing the world through rose tinted glasses. How could they not see the changes. The way i read the newspaper... i looked after my baby sister with no comlpaint... i enquired after my grandmother's health... i always took care to call home if i had extra classes... all those important changes...

I felt i could picture meeaa's youthful face. She was not a beauty ever. Her smile always reached her eyes. Thats what i saw in her.

She settled down into her armchair slowly with a strange smile. And looked at me again. Waiting for the reason.

"Meea... how was it when you were small? Did your parents make irrational rules on you?" I hoped they hadnt. I wanted to link my life to hers. Tread the path she had...

Once again she smiled. And closed her eyes. After the longest short silence i had endured, she said... 'No... they never did'...

I smiled and giggled... "They let you go to the neighbours' even if it were late right, meea?" I guessed that that was the equivalent of my party...

She only smiled....

2 comments:

Dragonfly said...

I felt io was old enough to...
that 'o' is an extra :)

angie said...

done :) danx